Skip to main content

Scalpel, please?

We've scheduled my surgery for next Wednesday, April 29th at St. Anthony's hospital. My special time arrived yesterday (if you're unsure what that means, be thankful) so I called Dr. Haas and he got me set up for surgery. I went in for my pre-op labs and work-up today so that's out of the way. Now I just have to show up that morning and try not to be a basket-case! I'm surprised at how nervous I am, most of my fear focusing on the urinary catheter and intubation tube. I've watched and even done too many of these to be blissfully ignorant about it. And I've seen the complications from having them done. Of course, worse things have probably happened on skateboards (I'm still healing some bruises and cuts).

So, I know I've explained it a little before, but for those who haven't heard- my procedure is called laparoscopic ovarian drilling. Very delicate name for a very gentle procedure :) What happens is I will have 3 incisions made in my abdomen where they will insert "tools". He will laser about 10-12 holes into each ovary destroying a portion of the ovary that makes testosterone. The testosterone is what creates my unbelievable amount of cysts and keeps me from ovulating. Most importantly, it often restores ovulation, increases pregnancy rates, and decreases miscarriage which is a big problem with PCOS.

Once again, thanks so much for the amazing amount of support you have all given me. I will keep you all posted on my recovery. We are definitely hopeful that this will lead us to our ultimate goal...

Comments

  1. Do you know what time your surgery is going to be? Is it going to be outpatient or inpatient surgery? I'll be thinking and praying for you guys. If you need anything, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think of this as a warm-up for our 30th b-day surgery! See you Wednesday-bright and early with bells on! I'll be the one with the loud child!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Our Little Miracle, Paisley Kate

The post I have been waiting 2 years to write is finally here and I can't really believe it. On Saturday, I woke up at 8:30 a.m. with BAD contractions. By the 2nd one, I knew I was in "real" labor. They were SO different than the braxton-hicks. I got out of bed and decided that I'd take a bath, until water ran down both legs. The pain after that got pretty unbearable immediately and I was having contractions every 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. So, I called Aaron at work to tell him it was "the big day". He decided I was kidding until I nearly leapt through the phone to wring his neck. :) We got to the hospital an hour later and I was dilated to a 4 and having very active contractions. They quickly got me moved to an L&D room. I got my epidural ( AMAZING - we'll talk about this in its own post soon) at a 6 and then my doctor broke my water. (Apparently at home, it had just leaked a pocket of fluid). After he broke my water, labor started picking up ...

I'm Going to Let You in on a Little Secret

My dear blog readers, Those of you who know me well know that I do not keep secrets. It's actually physically impossible for me to keep a secret. So, it's going to really surprise many of you to find out that I've been staying silent about something pretty big. So, without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to the little miracle that came into our lives 13 weeks ago: We wanted to keep it to ourselves for a while to make sure things went okay this time. It's been a very terrifying 13 weeks and we are just now starting to feel that things could actually go well. We feel incredibly blessed to be pregnant with this baby and we are so grateful for every minute. To my friends who are still battling infertility , I'm not even sure where to start. You've been there with me through it all. You've held my hand and given me a shoulder to cry on when times are tough. You always know the right things to say because you've been there before. And you pray and ...

Blog Title

I've been thinking about changing the name of our blog. But after much thought, I've decided to leave it the same. Our stork really isn't great with directions. Sure, we're pregnant now and it appears that our journey really is leading us to a baby. But it's definitely not been the quickest, easiest path. We took many wrong turns, hit several dead ends, and ended up on detours for way too long. There's been too many tears cried and my heart has been broken time and time again. It's been a long, hard road to get here and the stupid stork assigned to us put us through a load of crap to get to this point. I'm certainly thankful for the road we're on now, don't get me wrong. I'd do all of it 30 times again if I could be where I am now. (Money and biological clock allowing...) But the title should stay the same. 2 years have passed, 3 surgeries, 1 hospitalization, my miscarriage, hundreds of doctor's visits, thousands of dollars s...