Amber and Aaron

Amber and Aaron

The Fun We've Already Had...

  • Graham Tomas born July 31 at 5:04 P.M. weighing 8 lbs, 12 oz.
  • December 2, 2011: PREGNANT!!!
  • Paisley Kate arrived August 21 at 5:38 P.M. weighing 7 lbs, 9 oz
  • DUE DATE: August 25, 2010!!!
  • Dec. 14, 2009- PREGNANT!!!
  • Oct. 07,2009- Had elective D&C.
  • Sept 28, 2009- No embryo on ultrasound. :(
  • Sept 15th, 2009- We found out we're PREGNANT!!!
  • Sept '09- Aaron had varicocele repair.
  • July '09- IUI #1 with HCG shot= No such luck
  • April '09- Ovarian drilling surgery, followed by hospitalization for uterine infection
  • Jan-Mar '09- metformin + 3 rounds of clomid= no ovulation
  • Dec. 11, 2008- Hysterosalpingogram (Fancy word for shooting dye through the ovaries. OUCH)
  • Nov '08- Sent to RE. Tried metformin alone for two months (No ovulation)
  • Oct '08- Diagnosed with PCOS based on amenorrhea and crazy hormone levels.
  • June '08- Aaron convinced me to start trying.
  • June '04- Got Hitched!

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Doctor's Visit

We met with Dr. Haas today to talk about our family planning. I can't remember a time when we didn't include a third person in this private process. :) Oh, and all of you faithful readers!

Our discussion went as I expected. He agrees that surgery would probably be a worthwhile step for us to take for Aaron. He's not as sure that it will change things as I was hoping, but still thought it was possible. (The urologist gives it a 70-80% chance of success.)

He gave us 4 options: 1.) Do 3 more IUI's with clomid. 2.) Use a sperm donor and do IUI. 3.) Have Aaron do surgery and then wait 3 months. 4.) Move on to IVF.

I was looking for an option 5- do nothing and get pregnant. Apparently we weren't on the same page... So, surgery is scheduled for September 3rd. It will take at least 3 months to begin to see the improvement in counts. So, we'll wait... Which for me means no charts, no medications (except my metformin three times a day), and no doctor's visits. YAY!!!!

If his counts improve, we'll probably do 3 more IUI's. If they don't cooperate, we move on to IVF. It's crazy how those three seemingly innocent letters strike fear in me. I feel like a dreadful tune should play whenever it is mentioned.

After talking with Dr. Haas today though, he feels so confident that we'd get pregnant with IVF. It has about a 70% success rate. And that if we have frozen embryos leftover from our first IVF attempt, we'd be able to try with those for a lot less money if IVF #1 fails.

Best news of the day: I made it through a visit to the fertility clinic without taking off my pants or having blood drawn!!!

6 comments:

  1. Ugh, I'm always looking for that extra option as well. I hope the surgery goes well and the counts improve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm super encouraged for you guys and excited about Aaron's ball surgery! =) I'm still hopeful that there might be an option 5 in the next few months...never rule anything out. Always the optimist, but either way it sounds like a little Graham might be in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Moose's count goes up and with you cycling normally now, I would think that Option 5 might be a possibility. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck honey...I'm praying his surgery goes well and his sperm count goes up! Enjoy your 3 months (honestly, try to enjoy it) and do things you love doing and don't think about babies or IF!

    IVF scares me too, you are not alone! It's nice to know that we always have options though even if they are scary! We're here holding your hand.

    babyparamore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never dreamed we'd be discussing Moose's sperm count so openly! I hope surgery is a success. Who knows when you're not stressing over this the next 3 months option 5 may just happen!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking about you guys! Trent's surgery is the 25th, too bad they can't recover together... Um, who is baby Graham?

    ReplyDelete