Skip to main content

Booby Milk

Everyone and their dog has an opinion about breast feeding and who should do it and for how long and where and how. We've all gotten our fair share of advice and unsolicited thoughts on the matter.

For me, breast feeding has been the only thing I've excelled at when it comes to child bearing/raising. I failed miserably at getting pregnant and only carried 66.6% of my pregnancies to term. Labor and delivery gurus would probably give me a failing grade since I almost died waiting for my first epidural and then had a c-section on
the 2nd.

But the babies have been well fed. And I'm thankful for the money saved and the ease of the nursing. However, I know how freakin tough this is for many women and lactation consultants just don't seem to get that.

When Graham was in the hospital for meningitis, I got a well-meaning phone call from the lactation nazi on staff. She was asking how nursing was going and reiterating how important it was that I continued. I hadn't considered quitting so that wasn't needed. But then she went on to push how much he needs my antibodies to fight this illness and how crucial it was for his well-being.

At this point, I've spent almost a wek in the hospital and I'm starting to get crazy. (Also the day they had to send in the counselor to encourage me). So now I start to panic. What if my milk runs out? What if he gets to sick to nurse? What if it's all my fault?!?

Point is, babies do great on formula. It's been perfected over the years and honestly babies turn out just as well either way. So back off women!!! We all give ourselves enough pressure and guilt about nursing without help from others!!!

Lastly, when we were at the park last week, I was sitting next to a lady with a newborn who asked me if it would bother me if she nursed her there. I was taken aback that she felt the need to ask me being that I'm a female too and that she had a cover she used.

I nurse Graham wherever and whenever he needs it. I've nursed him walking around the fair, during Gymboree class and in the grocery store. My cover keeps everything private and with a 2 year old to chase, I can't go hide in some closet to feed the poor little guy. But I've also never felt obligated to ask for permission!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Our Little Miracle, Paisley Kate

The post I have been waiting 2 years to write is finally here and I can't really believe it. On Saturday, I woke up at 8:30 a.m. with BAD contractions. By the 2nd one, I knew I was in "real" labor. They were SO different than the braxton-hicks. I got out of bed and decided that I'd take a bath, until water ran down both legs. The pain after that got pretty unbearable immediately and I was having contractions every 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. So, I called Aaron at work to tell him it was "the big day". He decided I was kidding until I nearly leapt through the phone to wring his neck. :) We got to the hospital an hour later and I was dilated to a 4 and having very active contractions. They quickly got me moved to an L&D room. I got my epidural ( AMAZING - we'll talk about this in its own post soon) at a 6 and then my doctor broke my water. (Apparently at home, it had just leaked a pocket of fluid). After he broke my water, labor started picking up

The Resurrection

 So here we are.  It's now a blog graveyard.  The followers have long since moved on and infertility is something that I've somewhat put in the past (only considering I don't want any more kids).  So why am I here and writing again?  What's the purpose?   This was my safe place.  It was where I came when everything seemed much too hard and I needed to feel comfort.  I wanted to express myself in a venue that others would reassure me and even understand me.  I still love and have always loved this blog.  It guided me during some of the hardest years of my life, dealing with infertility and miscarriage. And you know... I guess it will help me again now.  Because life is freaking TOUGH.  You know the phrase "I've went through Hell and back"?  Yeah, I feel that in my soul now.  I could have a blowout in the middle lane of the highway during rush hour traffic, manage to pull over my car on the side and call for roadside assistance without my pulse increasing ev

I'm Going to Let You in on a Little Secret

My dear blog readers, Those of you who know me well know that I do not keep secrets. It's actually physically impossible for me to keep a secret. So, it's going to really surprise many of you to find out that I've been staying silent about something pretty big. So, without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to the little miracle that came into our lives 13 weeks ago: We wanted to keep it to ourselves for a while to make sure things went okay this time. It's been a very terrifying 13 weeks and we are just now starting to feel that things could actually go well. We feel incredibly blessed to be pregnant with this baby and we are so grateful for every minute. To my friends who are still battling infertility , I'm not even sure where to start. You've been there with me through it all. You've held my hand and given me a shoulder to cry on when times are tough. You always know the right things to say because you've been there before. And you pray and