Skip to main content

Burned Out

Are most parents born with some kind of endless source of patience and never ending love for being the provider (also known as personal assistant/slave) to their kids?  I feel like there are women who always love being a mom.  You know the ones that say, "being a parent is the best thing I've EVER done" and "I wish there were more hours in the day to spend with my kids!"  

And I so wish that I could agree excitedly with these women but I find myself looking at them like they're from outer space.  I search their eyes for signs of deceit or even insanity.  They look honest and heartfelt.  So then I try to decide what I lack to make me feel less excited.

I have stay-at-home friends who can't imagine why I would ever return to being a PA.  Maybe because its my career and something I love doing.  Maybe because I like to contribute financially to this family.  Maybe because I love going somewhere all alone.

I have days where this is awesome.  The kids are sweet and they learn something new and they love me a ton.  But there are plenty of uglier days where I feel like these two little tyrants do nothing but yell at me and criticize every move I make, every meal I serve, every word I say.  It's sometimes like doing the hardest job in the world and receiving no praise or even negative comments.  Day after day, it can get old.

The kids are just having a rough patch right now with lots of developmental changes and returning from a vacation and being generally busy.  And I know things get better and worse all the time.  I'm just having a bit of a slump right now and need to hear that I'm not the only mom who isn't screaming from the rooftops about how amazing my life is right this minute.

On that note, my son just pooped on our carpet.



Comments

  1. I am right there with you! I could've written this post myself. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So honest AND I LOVE IT. Do I see a return of the "Mommy Confessionals"? LOL You are NOT alone my friend. Right now I am doing the SAHM thing and babysitting another child here full time. So it's like having two kids. Some days I seriously want to bang my head against the wall till I'm unconscious, because that's the only way I can get a good sleep LOL But then there are the days where I get weepy at the thought of someday working outside the home again and how much I would miss my little girl! The days and weeks are definitely up and down. It's not always rosey round here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who in the world wishes there were MORE hours to spend with their kids? eek. NOT I, my friend. I love your honesty and just know you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS! I could have written this myself. Things have SUCKED recently and I have had tears in my eyes telling my mom "I just don't like being a mom right now." It's not every second of every day, but it's more often than I'd like to admit. It's been rough . And I think those of us who worked so hard for our kiddos feel like we should enjoy every single second. NOT possible! lol! I work part time and some days my chest aches when I walk out the door because I just want to BE with them- other says I could seriously skip and click my ankles and not even look back lol! You are MOST certainly not alone!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Our Little Miracle, Paisley Kate

The post I have been waiting 2 years to write is finally here and I can't really believe it. On Saturday, I woke up at 8:30 a.m. with BAD contractions. By the 2nd one, I knew I was in "real" labor. They were SO different than the braxton-hicks. I got out of bed and decided that I'd take a bath, until water ran down both legs. The pain after that got pretty unbearable immediately and I was having contractions every 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. So, I called Aaron at work to tell him it was "the big day". He decided I was kidding until I nearly leapt through the phone to wring his neck. :) We got to the hospital an hour later and I was dilated to a 4 and having very active contractions. They quickly got me moved to an L&D room. I got my epidural ( AMAZING - we'll talk about this in its own post soon) at a 6 and then my doctor broke my water. (Apparently at home, it had just leaked a pocket of fluid). After he broke my water, labor started picking up

The Resurrection

 So here we are.  It's now a blog graveyard.  The followers have long since moved on and infertility is something that I've somewhat put in the past (only considering I don't want any more kids).  So why am I here and writing again?  What's the purpose?   This was my safe place.  It was where I came when everything seemed much too hard and I needed to feel comfort.  I wanted to express myself in a venue that others would reassure me and even understand me.  I still love and have always loved this blog.  It guided me during some of the hardest years of my life, dealing with infertility and miscarriage. And you know... I guess it will help me again now.  Because life is freaking TOUGH.  You know the phrase "I've went through Hell and back"?  Yeah, I feel that in my soul now.  I could have a blowout in the middle lane of the highway during rush hour traffic, manage to pull over my car on the side and call for roadside assistance without my pulse increasing ev

I'm Going to Let You in on a Little Secret

My dear blog readers, Those of you who know me well know that I do not keep secrets. It's actually physically impossible for me to keep a secret. So, it's going to really surprise many of you to find out that I've been staying silent about something pretty big. So, without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to the little miracle that came into our lives 13 weeks ago: We wanted to keep it to ourselves for a while to make sure things went okay this time. It's been a very terrifying 13 weeks and we are just now starting to feel that things could actually go well. We feel incredibly blessed to be pregnant with this baby and we are so grateful for every minute. To my friends who are still battling infertility , I'm not even sure where to start. You've been there with me through it all. You've held my hand and given me a shoulder to cry on when times are tough. You always know the right things to say because you've been there before. And you pray and