Skip to main content

Why are you even talking to me???

We've already established that people become socially retarded when it comes to pregnancy. But yet, I'm still continuously amazed at how insensitive and sometimes, even rude, people can be to an expectant mother.

1.) I don't want to hear your horror stories. There is a giant fetus growing inside of me that will have to find a way out. I am fully aware of what those 2 options are. And being that I am in the medical field, I know much too well all that can go wrong and for how long it can go wrong. So, please refrain from telling me about your 7 weeks you spent in labor without any meds, giving birth to a 12 pounder that left you with a huge tear and hemorrhoids. Guess what? I don't give a crap and that info will not help me.

2.) This is not a time where I am open to suggestions on the names we've chosen, how to decorate the nursery, whether or not to have a natural delivery, how long to breastfeed, when to start your child in pre-K, or what I should be eating. If I want your opinion, I'll ask.

3.) Let's not comment on my appearance unless you have something nice to say. It is not appropriate when someone isn't pregnant to comment on their weight, but somehow now it seems like a good time. When I'm crazy and hormonal, weighing more than I've ever weighed in my life. Luckily my self-confidence is at an all-time high, but certain people are wearing me out. I don't need to hear that you think I'm too small or too large (I get both), that my belly is huge, or that I'll never be the same again.

I actually had a co-worker tell me today that the skin on my neck is getting darker and my nose is spreading. Neither flaw has caught my attention, but apparently she's the authority on such matters. Explain to me what in the world would make you think that someone wants to hear that...

4.) I don't want to know my baby's gender until birth. While it is fun for people to make guesses, I am not looking for detailed reasons why you are sure that my baby is a certain gender. Most people are fine with this, but I have certain co-workers (notice a theme here) that love to talk non-stop about how they are sure my baby is one or the other. They are so convinced that they will only address my baby as that sex. There is a 50-50 chance either way. Stop trying to tell me you know!!!

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I'm about ready to start throwing punches if people don't start noticing that I'm avoiding them, replying with rude comments, or walking away when they're saying dumb things. Gotta go- I'm off to search for plastic surgeons to fix this giant nose and discolored skin. ;)

Comments

  1. What are people thinking? Who raised them? That stuff would drive me nuts!!!!
    And I really can't believe the comments about your appearance! You are one of the most beautiful pregnant girls ever! I bet they're jealous because they got all puffed up and distorted looking when they were pregnant.
    Have you told anyone off yet? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also amazed at what people say or the horror stories they feel like they must share with you. I'm sorry you have co-workers that overly involved in your pregnancy...It can't be fun to be around that all the time. Just know that you look great and I'm already jealous that you'll probably have your flat little belly like a week after you deliver and it'll take me traning for the next Memorial marathon to look half way like I did before I was pregnant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, oh no!!! Sounds like you have the right attitude, though -- F 'em :)

    P.S. I think you look gorgeous, despite the incredibly rude coworker who is trying to point out ridiculous flways like your nose spreading. He/she is probably just jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG...I would totally have punched your co-worker!! How rude! Glad that you're able to find hunor in it...people are crazy!! For the record...I think you look gorgeous!!!! F*ck 'em!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO with you! My baby boy was due last Friday and I am SO tired of people saying "weren't you supposed to have that baby already?" or "when are you going to pop that thing out?" This is not exactly something I can control, people!

    That being said - I am being induced tomorrow morning :)

    Oh, and you look like a perfect pregnant lady, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What - you don't want to hear about my friend's cousin's son who's wife practically bled to death after birthing triplets in the back seat of his convertible as he fought off an alien invasion? Fine.

    My favourite so far was that I'm definitely going to have a son because you're skin becomes blemished and uneven when you're carrying a boy. Uh, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol sorry you have to deal with comments like those! You could have just punched her in the nose and been like " Oh yeah, MY nose is speading??!!" As her nose is like bleeding and bent sideways like a broken beak. Ok, maybe that was violent. But fun to picture for a minute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What the heck are these people thinking as they say these things to you. And if nothing else do these people have no sense of what is the right thing to say to someone and what is not? Do they not get the same blank pissed off expression each time they say these weird or rude things to someone expecting.
    Come on people. Use your common sense!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Our Little Miracle, Paisley Kate

The post I have been waiting 2 years to write is finally here and I can't really believe it. On Saturday, I woke up at 8:30 a.m. with BAD contractions. By the 2nd one, I knew I was in "real" labor. They were SO different than the braxton-hicks. I got out of bed and decided that I'd take a bath, until water ran down both legs. The pain after that got pretty unbearable immediately and I was having contractions every 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. So, I called Aaron at work to tell him it was "the big day". He decided I was kidding until I nearly leapt through the phone to wring his neck. :) We got to the hospital an hour later and I was dilated to a 4 and having very active contractions. They quickly got me moved to an L&D room. I got my epidural ( AMAZING - we'll talk about this in its own post soon) at a 6 and then my doctor broke my water. (Apparently at home, it had just leaked a pocket of fluid). After he broke my water, labor started picking up

The Resurrection

 So here we are.  It's now a blog graveyard.  The followers have long since moved on and infertility is something that I've somewhat put in the past (only considering I don't want any more kids).  So why am I here and writing again?  What's the purpose?   This was my safe place.  It was where I came when everything seemed much too hard and I needed to feel comfort.  I wanted to express myself in a venue that others would reassure me and even understand me.  I still love and have always loved this blog.  It guided me during some of the hardest years of my life, dealing with infertility and miscarriage. And you know... I guess it will help me again now.  Because life is freaking TOUGH.  You know the phrase "I've went through Hell and back"?  Yeah, I feel that in my soul now.  I could have a blowout in the middle lane of the highway during rush hour traffic, manage to pull over my car on the side and call for roadside assistance without my pulse increasing ev

I'm Going to Let You in on a Little Secret

My dear blog readers, Those of you who know me well know that I do not keep secrets. It's actually physically impossible for me to keep a secret. So, it's going to really surprise many of you to find out that I've been staying silent about something pretty big. So, without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to the little miracle that came into our lives 13 weeks ago: We wanted to keep it to ourselves for a while to make sure things went okay this time. It's been a very terrifying 13 weeks and we are just now starting to feel that things could actually go well. We feel incredibly blessed to be pregnant with this baby and we are so grateful for every minute. To my friends who are still battling infertility , I'm not even sure where to start. You've been there with me through it all. You've held my hand and given me a shoulder to cry on when times are tough. You always know the right things to say because you've been there before. And you pray and