Skip to main content

Possessed by the Holiday Spirit

Normally, I'm what people would refer to as a Scrooge.  The holidays have, for the most part, really gotten on my nerves and even caused anxiety attacks.  The biggest culprits being Christmas and Thanksgiving. Because with all that said, I L-O-V-E Halloween.  And I can tell you what the big difference is.  Christmas and Thanksgiving are very traditional, rigid holidays with a lot of strings attached.  Compared to Halloween, which is just fun and easy-going. 

I usually vomit when I hear carols playing in stores starting in September, and cringe when I hear a countdown to Christmas.  Turkey and its fixings are just okay in my book (I'd pick mexican food anyday) since they're kinda bland.  The weather is turning cold and crappy.  And I get a little weird about opening gifts in front of others.  Oh, and I hate shopping for gifts to give unless I know exactly what they want.  The only good thing about this time of year was Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation.

Recently, I started thinking I must have come down with a terrible illness.  Suddenly, I was humming along to Christmas carols and shopping enthusiastically for gifts.  There was this strange little feeling inside of me that felt excited and eager and happier than usual.  And it occurred to me that I was feeling something I hadn't felt since I was 8. 

The Christmas Spirit.

And it felt really good.  My best guess is that Paisley has brought this out in me.  Last year she was only 4 months old at this time and I was too exhausted to acknowledge the holidays.  But this year it has really sunk in.  I have an amazing little girl to share them with.  Soon, she'll love gift-giving, and leave a plate for Santa Claus, and understand the meaning of Christmas.  And it will bring back all of the magic of the season that I so long ago forgot.  

Comments

  1. I can't wait until avery is old enough to enjoy christmas!!
    have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year is the first year in a LONG time I have been really excited about Christmas! We bought our babies an outdoor step 2 climber and a sandbox and I am SO FREAKING excited to bring them out Christmas morning (hopefully weather cooperates:)) and let them play on it! So, I totally know what you mean. Living life through our kids' eyes is such a thrill:)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You HAVE been possessed and I love it! It feels good right!? I love love love xmas, always have. But the last few years Ive been so sad over no baby that it kind of dulled the holiday for me. But now that we have a little miracle growing I am like over-the-top xmas spirit this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha!! Kids will do that to you! I've gone crazy this year, Emma is really getting into Santa Claus & the idea of making him cookies. I actually enjoy Christmas music because it makes her and Corbin happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. Paisley is bringing it back out in you. It's amazing how that works, huh? We already have our tree up, have presents under the tree (which is kind of mean since Braylon has to wait a month to open them - didn't think about that until he saw them - you live and learn as a parent, I guess) and I am actually singing the Christmas songs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Our Little Miracle, Paisley Kate

The post I have been waiting 2 years to write is finally here and I can't really believe it. On Saturday, I woke up at 8:30 a.m. with BAD contractions. By the 2nd one, I knew I was in "real" labor. They were SO different than the braxton-hicks. I got out of bed and decided that I'd take a bath, until water ran down both legs. The pain after that got pretty unbearable immediately and I was having contractions every 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. So, I called Aaron at work to tell him it was "the big day". He decided I was kidding until I nearly leapt through the phone to wring his neck. :) We got to the hospital an hour later and I was dilated to a 4 and having very active contractions. They quickly got me moved to an L&D room. I got my epidural ( AMAZING - we'll talk about this in its own post soon) at a 6 and then my doctor broke my water. (Apparently at home, it had just leaked a pocket of fluid). After he broke my water, labor started picking up

The Resurrection

 So here we are.  It's now a blog graveyard.  The followers have long since moved on and infertility is something that I've somewhat put in the past (only considering I don't want any more kids).  So why am I here and writing again?  What's the purpose?   This was my safe place.  It was where I came when everything seemed much too hard and I needed to feel comfort.  I wanted to express myself in a venue that others would reassure me and even understand me.  I still love and have always loved this blog.  It guided me during some of the hardest years of my life, dealing with infertility and miscarriage. And you know... I guess it will help me again now.  Because life is freaking TOUGH.  You know the phrase "I've went through Hell and back"?  Yeah, I feel that in my soul now.  I could have a blowout in the middle lane of the highway during rush hour traffic, manage to pull over my car on the side and call for roadside assistance without my pulse increasing ev

I'm Going to Let You in on a Little Secret

My dear blog readers, Those of you who know me well know that I do not keep secrets. It's actually physically impossible for me to keep a secret. So, it's going to really surprise many of you to find out that I've been staying silent about something pretty big. So, without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to the little miracle that came into our lives 13 weeks ago: We wanted to keep it to ourselves for a while to make sure things went okay this time. It's been a very terrifying 13 weeks and we are just now starting to feel that things could actually go well. We feel incredibly blessed to be pregnant with this baby and we are so grateful for every minute. To my friends who are still battling infertility , I'm not even sure where to start. You've been there with me through it all. You've held my hand and given me a shoulder to cry on when times are tough. You always know the right things to say because you've been there before. And you pray and