Skip to main content

Couples Retreat

Aaron and I decided to go last night to see Couples Retreat with Vince Vaughn. Well, not with Vince Vaughn, I'm sure he had other plans. I should say "starring". The premise of the movie is that a couple is really contemplating divorce because their marriage is falling apart. Why you ask? Oh, because they've been dealing with infertility for 12 months.

Only 12 months... That was when it just started to get bad. Up till then we still had hope. Anyways, I digress...

So there I sat through half of the movie, missing the funny parts because I was wondering why we are handling this so well. What makes us immune to the fighting or depression or even divorce? Infertility can wreck your life and it definitely changes your relationships. All of them.

We actually know about 4 couples going through divorce right now and none of them really have anything all that bad going on. And they've all been married less time than us.

Aaron and I have always been great at making fun of bad situations. The worse things around us get, the more material we have to work with. You know when you think your day can't possibly get any worse and something unthinkable happens, and you just start laughing uncontrollably. Welcome to our life. Totally there.

He is my best friend in the world and when things like this happen, it only pulls me closer to him. I realize how much I need him in my life and how much he cares about me. This will make us love a baby so much more in the end because our baby will truly be a miracle. And our marriage will be that much stronger. I feel like we have truly survived a storm and come through it even better than before. (Note to Aaron: don't get too full of yourself, I can change my mind.)

So I think I'm going to skip out on the couples counseling for now, although it might be fun. And I totally recommend the movie. Don't let my long boring post deter you! It's really funny.

Comments

  1. I wonder the same things sometimes. How is it that others divorce when they don't even have half the heartache we do but our marriage is still strong? We are a lot like you guys. IF has made us so much stronger as a couple. I'm glad that you have a wonderful man by your side while you are going through this!

    12 months...they need to try 4 years!

    babyparamore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realized after the miscarriage how strong our marriage really was. We became an even stronger couple after our tragedy and I feel blessed everyday that I got marry this man and have him in my life. We also make fun of our bad situations and Geoff always manages to keep me smiling and laughing. It does feel like coming through a major storm and Geoff was my lifesaver I couldn't have done it without him. You are right this experience will make our babies more special and a true miracle. I think we will appreciate them even more I remember reading this open letter a woman posted she was infertile for many years about how happy she was was to get up when her baby cried for she now had a baby to get up for. That is how I will feel I will be so happy to suffer all the pains of pregnancy and the late-night feedings and being so tired I fall asleep in chairs it will all be a total joy to me. I don't think any of us will complain we will enjoy every minute of our beautiful miracle! We will have to see that movie I love the actors especially Jason Bateman I grew up with him!

    Sending lots of hugs and support to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its the nature of your relationship & both of you have a great outlook on life!!! Not to mention you took Animal Science classes & joined pre-vet club just so you could hang out with him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out my blog! You have an award!

    babyparamore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Our Little Miracle, Paisley Kate

The post I have been waiting 2 years to write is finally here and I can't really believe it. On Saturday, I woke up at 8:30 a.m. with BAD contractions. By the 2nd one, I knew I was in "real" labor. They were SO different than the braxton-hicks. I got out of bed and decided that I'd take a bath, until water ran down both legs. The pain after that got pretty unbearable immediately and I was having contractions every 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. So, I called Aaron at work to tell him it was "the big day". He decided I was kidding until I nearly leapt through the phone to wring his neck. :) We got to the hospital an hour later and I was dilated to a 4 and having very active contractions. They quickly got me moved to an L&D room. I got my epidural ( AMAZING - we'll talk about this in its own post soon) at a 6 and then my doctor broke my water. (Apparently at home, it had just leaked a pocket of fluid). After he broke my water, labor started picking up

The Resurrection

 So here we are.  It's now a blog graveyard.  The followers have long since moved on and infertility is something that I've somewhat put in the past (only considering I don't want any more kids).  So why am I here and writing again?  What's the purpose?   This was my safe place.  It was where I came when everything seemed much too hard and I needed to feel comfort.  I wanted to express myself in a venue that others would reassure me and even understand me.  I still love and have always loved this blog.  It guided me during some of the hardest years of my life, dealing with infertility and miscarriage. And you know... I guess it will help me again now.  Because life is freaking TOUGH.  You know the phrase "I've went through Hell and back"?  Yeah, I feel that in my soul now.  I could have a blowout in the middle lane of the highway during rush hour traffic, manage to pull over my car on the side and call for roadside assistance without my pulse increasing ev

I'm Going to Let You in on a Little Secret

My dear blog readers, Those of you who know me well know that I do not keep secrets. It's actually physically impossible for me to keep a secret. So, it's going to really surprise many of you to find out that I've been staying silent about something pretty big. So, without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to the little miracle that came into our lives 13 weeks ago: We wanted to keep it to ourselves for a while to make sure things went okay this time. It's been a very terrifying 13 weeks and we are just now starting to feel that things could actually go well. We feel incredibly blessed to be pregnant with this baby and we are so grateful for every minute. To my friends who are still battling infertility , I'm not even sure where to start. You've been there with me through it all. You've held my hand and given me a shoulder to cry on when times are tough. You always know the right things to say because you've been there before. And you pray and