Amber and Aaron

Amber and Aaron

The Fun We've Already Had...

  • Graham Tomas born July 31 at 5:04 P.M. weighing 8 lbs, 12 oz.
  • December 2, 2011: PREGNANT!!!
  • Paisley Kate arrived August 21 at 5:38 P.M. weighing 7 lbs, 9 oz
  • DUE DATE: August 25, 2010!!!
  • Dec. 14, 2009- PREGNANT!!!
  • Oct. 07,2009- Had elective D&C.
  • Sept 28, 2009- No embryo on ultrasound. :(
  • Sept 15th, 2009- We found out we're PREGNANT!!!
  • Sept '09- Aaron had varicocele repair.
  • July '09- IUI #1 with HCG shot= No such luck
  • April '09- Ovarian drilling surgery, followed by hospitalization for uterine infection
  • Jan-Mar '09- metformin + 3 rounds of clomid= no ovulation
  • Dec. 11, 2008- Hysterosalpingogram (Fancy word for shooting dye through the ovaries. OUCH)
  • Nov '08- Sent to RE. Tried metformin alone for two months (No ovulation)
  • Oct '08- Diagnosed with PCOS based on amenorrhea and crazy hormone levels.
  • June '08- Aaron convinced me to start trying.
  • June '04- Got Hitched!

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo...

I was given two choices: 1.) Have a D&C to empty out my uterus. 2.) Wait until my body decides to have a "natural" miscarriage. I was hoping for choice #3 being keep this pregnancy and have a baby. Apparently, that wasn't in the cards so then I was hoping for pretend it never happened, have a regular ol' period, and have everything reset to normal. Again, not an option on the table.

I immediately decided on D&C. Why wouldn't I want to move on with this? But today, the wheels in my mind started spinning. And now they're spinning out of control. Everytime I've had anything medical done this year, it's turned out bad. From the minute I walked into the infertility clinic, I've received very little good news. Most of the time it's "I'm sorry to tell you...", "This is not what we were wanting to see...", "Looks like you're in the small percentage..." Point is: nothing has worked out easy for us.

D&C's are performed on gazillions of girls all the time. The risks are minimal. Things should go smoothly. Blah,blah,blah... I've heard all of that before. And then I got really sick and had a 3 day stay in the hospital for an unknown infection. "I've never had this happen before."

No, I don't want to wait on a miscarriage that may be painful and may take 4-5 weeks to come. But I don't want to risk having even more complications develop from a surgery that I don't have to have just to avoid pain and waiting. To tell you the truth, I don't want to make a decision on how to end my pregnancy. It's impossible to feel okay about either one.

I'm totally open to honest opinions on this one. Don't worry about saying the wrong thing, because there is NO wrong answer. I just need to know what you all would do in these shoes. I've already heard from girls on both sides and what their experience was. And I appreciate your thoughts so much.


  1. I can't say what's best for you, but I had an easy, comfortable experience with my D&C. I'd recommend it if that's what you're leaning toward, especially since it'll speed up the process a bit. Good luck!

  2. I had a natural miscarriage.. and while it was VERY painful (both emotionally and physically) the pain was managable. I would have had a D&C if my body hadn't miscarried naturally. I'm praying for you.

  3. okay, I feel really dumb offering my opinion since I've never even tried to use my uterus but you know what they say about opinions... I have two thoughts. 1) would it be better for you emotionally to have a scheduled d&c so you knew what exactly was going to happen and when instead of waiting for a miscarriage that could happen at any time and no matter when it does happen, it will be unexpected. 2) would having the d&c shorten the time until you could try again? I am sure you have already thought of those but I can't stop thinking about you guys and just wish I could help. We are still praying T&S

  4. Like Shalyn I don't feel I should really offer my opinion never being in that situation. However, I think a natural miscarriage would not only be emotionally draining, but could present its own risks & could eventually result in a D&C anyway. I would think a D&C would shorten the time until you try again too, but maybe you better double check with your dr.

  5. I dont' know if you have made your decision yet or not, I think you should go ahead and have the d&c, so you can begin the healing process and not have to worry about waiting.. you know how my d&c was but the circumstances were different.. whatever you decide I will always be here for you.... love ya jennifer