Skip to main content

Haiti

Aaron and I watched the telethon that was on last night raising money for Haiti and I just felt the need to comment. My heart goes out to them. I can't imagine living in the conditions they were living in before the earthquake and especially not afterwards. If something like this had happened in our country, we would have had the manpower and the machinery to sort through the rubble much more efficiently and each person who died would at least be given a proper burial. The survivors are actually dying because they don't have hospitals to take them to.

The only true connection I have to Haiti is that Aaron and I traveled to the Dominican Republic (connected to Haiti) for our honeymoon and one other time since. We love it more than anywhere else. It's a beautiful country with amazing beaches and rolling hills. The poverty is incredibly sad, but somehow the citizens there look happy and peaceful. They are very warm and friendly people, and very beautiful.

On our last trip there, we went on a zip-lining tour in the jungle and our guide was a young man from Haiti. He had moved to the Dominican to escape the political unrest of Haiti and to hopefully build a better life. His story was amazing and he was an incredible person. His main dream was to attend college in the U.S.

Seeing what's happened there makes me think of him and of his family who still live in Haiti. And my heart was aching for all of the adorable little orphans over there. If we could bring one home immediately, we'd do it in a heartbeat.

I guess last night was just one of those times that I realized how good my life truly is. I have a beautiful home, a warm bed, clean clothes, water to drink, and a job to support me. Sure I gripe about things, and sure there are things I'd change a little. But I sure am lucky.

Comments

  1. It is so heartbreaking to see it all on t.v. I just can't even imagine. It really does make me realize just how truly blessed we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. This tragedy is definitely a wake-up call to appreciate all we have in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right. What happened in Haiti is about poverty, not about a natural disaster. The San Francisco area had a similar size earthquake in 1989 and only 63 people died! but we had the means to both build earthquake resistant infrastructure and respond after it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is devastating and my heart aches for them, like Missy said, it is about poverty and not about a natural disater. It breaks my heart every time I turn on the t.v. and see the updates. I wish I could bring all the orphans home. :(

    It really puts things in perspective and makes me thankful for the things I do have.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right, this was such a horrible tragedy and like you said they don't have the resources to clean it up, to start to even begin to try to dig through some of the rubble. Its so sad. I've been praying for these families. Its heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Our Little Miracle, Paisley Kate

The post I have been waiting 2 years to write is finally here and I can't really believe it. On Saturday, I woke up at 8:30 a.m. with BAD contractions. By the 2nd one, I knew I was in "real" labor. They were SO different than the braxton-hicks. I got out of bed and decided that I'd take a bath, until water ran down both legs. The pain after that got pretty unbearable immediately and I was having contractions every 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. So, I called Aaron at work to tell him it was "the big day". He decided I was kidding until I nearly leapt through the phone to wring his neck. :) We got to the hospital an hour later and I was dilated to a 4 and having very active contractions. They quickly got me moved to an L&D room. I got my epidural ( AMAZING - we'll talk about this in its own post soon) at a 6 and then my doctor broke my water. (Apparently at home, it had just leaked a pocket of fluid). After he broke my water, labor started picking up

The Resurrection

 So here we are.  It's now a blog graveyard.  The followers have long since moved on and infertility is something that I've somewhat put in the past (only considering I don't want any more kids).  So why am I here and writing again?  What's the purpose?   This was my safe place.  It was where I came when everything seemed much too hard and I needed to feel comfort.  I wanted to express myself in a venue that others would reassure me and even understand me.  I still love and have always loved this blog.  It guided me during some of the hardest years of my life, dealing with infertility and miscarriage. And you know... I guess it will help me again now.  Because life is freaking TOUGH.  You know the phrase "I've went through Hell and back"?  Yeah, I feel that in my soul now.  I could have a blowout in the middle lane of the highway during rush hour traffic, manage to pull over my car on the side and call for roadside assistance without my pulse increasing ev

I'm Going to Let You in on a Little Secret

My dear blog readers, Those of you who know me well know that I do not keep secrets. It's actually physically impossible for me to keep a secret. So, it's going to really surprise many of you to find out that I've been staying silent about something pretty big. So, without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to the little miracle that came into our lives 13 weeks ago: We wanted to keep it to ourselves for a while to make sure things went okay this time. It's been a very terrifying 13 weeks and we are just now starting to feel that things could actually go well. We feel incredibly blessed to be pregnant with this baby and we are so grateful for every minute. To my friends who are still battling infertility , I'm not even sure where to start. You've been there with me through it all. You've held my hand and given me a shoulder to cry on when times are tough. You always know the right things to say because you've been there before. And you pray and