Amber and Aaron

Amber and Aaron

The Fun We've Already Had...

  • Graham Tomas born July 31 at 5:04 P.M. weighing 8 lbs, 12 oz.
  • December 2, 2011: PREGNANT!!!
  • Paisley Kate arrived August 21 at 5:38 P.M. weighing 7 lbs, 9 oz
  • DUE DATE: August 25, 2010!!!
  • Dec. 14, 2009- PREGNANT!!!
  • Oct. 07,2009- Had elective D&C.
  • Sept 28, 2009- No embryo on ultrasound. :(
  • Sept 15th, 2009- We found out we're PREGNANT!!!
  • Sept '09- Aaron had varicocele repair.
  • July '09- IUI #1 with HCG shot= No such luck
  • April '09- Ovarian drilling surgery, followed by hospitalization for uterine infection
  • Jan-Mar '09- metformin + 3 rounds of clomid= no ovulation
  • Dec. 11, 2008- Hysterosalpingogram (Fancy word for shooting dye through the ovaries. OUCH)
  • Nov '08- Sent to RE. Tried metformin alone for two months (No ovulation)
  • Oct '08- Diagnosed with PCOS based on amenorrhea and crazy hormone levels.
  • June '08- Aaron convinced me to start trying.
  • June '04- Got Hitched!

Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Road Ahead...

I've had several questions about what we'll do from here. Great question...

What I've learned through all of this is that there is never a set road. Medications don't always work, certain treatments are not effective for all, and every couple has their own set of problems. (Seems we have a ton.) And just when Dr. Haas, Aaron and I seem to get a plan- things change.

I didn't expect last month to turn into an IUI, but it did. Earlier on, I didn't expect to fail on clomid and have surgery, but I did. When this all began, I never would have expected to go through this much already and still not be pregnant. But here we are...

So, I'm not quite sure what we'll do. We're going on vacation with 4 of our best friends in 2 weeks, so it will eliminate this month from IUI (unless one you of 4 is willing to learn). Dr. Haas had mentioned having us come in for just a simple consultation visit to talk over our options soon. And I feel like maybe it would be a good idea.

I need to know if we're wasting our time with more IUI's even though they're significantly cheaper than IVF. We know our best chance is with IVF, but it's a ton of money and still no guarantees. I feel less and less hopeful every single month which doesn't help. I always had a thought that I was infertile. Was it intuition or just pessimism?

Anyways, I'm leaning towards trying to do 3 more IUI cycles and then taking about 6 months "off" to save money for IVF if I choose to do it. It's scary that IVF is the end of the road and we're almost there. Aaron has been to almost all of my appointments with me and one of the main reasons is that my biggest fear is Dr. Haas saying that there's no hope. And I can't hear that alone.

I'm blessed to be married to the most fantastic, funny, and caring person on this earth. Our lives and our marriage are not ruined from this experience, in fact- I'd say they've improved. And if we are ever given the chance to have a baby, we'll appreciate it SO much more than we ever would have before.


  1. I'm with you on this one babe! My marriage is stronger due to our battle with IF. And when we have our baby, we will appreciate so much more!

    Don't lose hope because without it we have nothing! I know it is hard right now and your scared, trust me, I know! Hang in there! I'm curious to what Dr. H has to say. I like your plan. Have you thought of IUI with clomid for a little boost? See what he says about that. It worked for one of my friends. I know all women are different but you never know.

  2. I know you're so discouraged that the last IUI didn't work. {{hugs}} But don't give up! Ask Dr. H lots of questions - what about trying meds with your IUI - either pills or injectables?

    I'm so glad you've got a month off from TTC to just relax and enjoy your vacation!

  3. sorry to hear about the failed IUI! Keep on trying and don't give up! My sister tried for over a year and she finally had twins! They are so adorable. I on the other hand is still waiting. I have until Thursday to wait to see if my IUI was successful!

  4. I'm so sorry, Amber. Hopefully our trip will give you a little breather and re-charge your batteries for a successful next month. And really, if you're serious, I already know how to AI, can't be that different, right? : )

  5. I'm glad that you're not closing the door to any options and so grateful that our trip is coming up soon. Colby was very willing to AI, but i guess he'll turn the task over to a equine reproductive specialist. We love you guys so much!